Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ender's Game Anticipation Guide

"Lying is Justifiable if it's for the greater good." 
      I rated this a two, because I don't think lying is acceptable unless it is for something very important, that if isn't lied about it will be catastrophic to many people. Although the person or group of people one is lying to (even lying to save the world) will be angry at the person or people lying to them.
   
"Sometimes violence is the only way to solve a problem." 
      I rated this a two, because usually there is a way around solving a problem using violence, although it is harder to accomplish your goal and can take more effort to solve the problem nonviolently. The only reason one should use violence to solve a problem, if they already tried to solve it nonviolently and it didn't work, although if you're trying to solve a problem in your life easily, violence is the way to go. Also certain people don't want to listen to words, and so a problem if that type of person is the issue, the problem must be solved with violence.

"It is okay to kill someone in self-defense." 
     I rated this a four, because I agree with this statement but there are certain situations where you don't want to kill your attacker. Most of the time if someone is trying to harm and maybe kill or molest you, and you can stop them, they usually deserve to be killed and if you're okay with the moral and legal consequences then go ahead. There are situations like if your attacker is an insane family member or someone under the influence, you still love them and they're still apart of the family, you most likely don't want to kill them.

  "Words are stronger than fists." 
        I rated this a four. I think most of the time you can persuade your enemy or opponent to make a treaty with you to solve the problem. Also if you're trying to get a large group of people to believe in you or your argument it is easier to convince them with words then to have them all subdued by violence. Also the people you convince if you use violence aren't believing in you or your argument on their own accord, so they will hate you even if they have to support you, but if you convince them with words it is their own decision so they will really believe in you or your argument. Once you subdue someone with violence if you want anyone else to believe in you, you have to subdue them with violence too, because after seeing you do it they will dislike you and won't be convinced by your words. 

"Bullies hurt others because they have low self esteem."  
      I rated this a three, because I could go either way with this point. This is definitely the text book argument of why kids bully, but I think they also bully, because they feel superior and they're in control, or because they like the feeling of others fearing them. So I do agree with this argument, but I think there are many other reasons one would bully other people.

"Only the best and brightest students should receive the best education to become a nation's leaders." 
     I rated this a four, because I agree with this statement. Although I think there is a small  whole in this statement, because If a person proves that even though they're not the smartest or richest people they can still lead, then obviously they deserve to lead. The reason I agree with this statement, is because usually the brightest of people have good decision making skills. I think it seems prejudice for me to think this, and I know I am somewhat wrong, but it is easier for the smarter people to handle the hard school.  A lot of smart people work under pressure in the harder classes, so they're used to working under pressure in school so it is easier for them to handle pressure in leading a nation.

"Revenge is never justified." 
     I rated this a two, meaning I disagree with this statement. I think most of the time revenge isn't justified, because the people getting revenge have clouded judgement and do not know the whole story of the person they're getting revenge on, and why they acted as they did in the first place. Or for example a Jewish person wanting to get revenge and hurt the modern day,2013, Germans isn't justified because they weren't there for the holocaust it was their ancestors, so they didn't make that decision. They don't deserve the harm the person might inflict on them.

"Crying is evidence of weakness."
    I strongly disagree with this statement. I feel this way because someone cries out of joy or sorrow, and it is just a simple emotion expressing tool. If someone is crying because another person close to them died they're not crying out of weakness, they're crying because it expresses how much they cared about that person, and how sad they are that they're gone.

"Any action is acceptable in war." I rated this a one, because I strongly disagree with this statement. I feel this way because even if it's war time and your country is suffering and in a bit of a financial depression, doesn't mean you can go around robbing people, because of the lack of authority. Also if your a solider, even if you hate the countries government, and their choices, it doesn't mean one can rape and pillage the country's citizens. It is not the citizens fault for what their country has done. None of those acts among other war time activities are acceptable.

"Teenagers need discipline and rules because they can't control themselves." I rated this a three, because I think teenagers need discipline and rules, but not because they can't control themselves. I think they need rules and discipline because they're learning how to function in the world, and without rules they would go crazy with their freedom. The act of that much freedom without rules, would mess up the development of their developing brains.

"Only through personal sacrifice can someone create positive change." I rated this a two, because I disagree. Someone can make positive change without personal sacrifice, although it takes a lot of work. It is almost easier to have a little personal sacrifice, but not too much because than the positive change is poisoned by your own unhappiness.   

"Generating compassion for your enemies is the only way to create peace." I rated this a five, because I strongly agree with this statement. I feel the way I do, because  even the signing of a peace treaty is generated by some form of compassion. If one tried to create peace with their enemy by completely destroying them, it would fail. An enemy always has family or allies to avenge them, so by trying to create peace this way one would just create more enemies. If one cannot generate compassion for their enemy at least a sliver of forgiveness is necessary to create peace.  







No comments:

Post a Comment